Our ongoing volunteer program is helping our artists on location at the nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other dependent care settings we serve throughout Hampton Roads.
Serving as a TAO Program Host is a great way to extend our outreach, meet genuinely interesting and appreciative people, and enjoy a creative arts experience.
We encourage our program volunteers to participate in the arts experience, by dancing, singing, painting, engaging with participants so they are more involved, and encouraging individual, creative self-expression.
Hours and location: Scheduled at the volunteer’s convenience in one-hour increments, during music or arts programs, activities or performances. To view TAO programs click here; volunteer is encouraged to look on the site, find programs at appropriate location and time, and contact TAO (TAOvolunteers@gmail.com) with interest in attending particular program(s). This volunteer position is for our programs in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
Skills Needed: Outgoing, friendly personality, clear speaking voice, desire to serve older adults and people with special needs.
Tools Needed: TAO program host survey, TAO brochures to leave with the location contact. Please do not bring a camera, unless prior arrangements have been made through TAO.
- Meet with location contact upon arrival; greet and socialize with residents or clients, as appropriate, until program time. If appropriate, ask the facility contact if he/she could use help bringing residents into the room, and follow that person’s lead for assisting residents or clients to the room where the TAO program is taking place. Give TAO brochures to location contact.
- Provide light assistance to musician or artist (such as getting a glass of water or passing out instruments, song sheets, or supplies.)
- Introduce Tidewater Arts Outreach and the artist to the group:
Hello, my name is _______________, and I am very happy to be with you today, to introduce today’s (music or arts) program. This program is presented by Tidewater Arts Outreach, a non-profit organization whose mission is to share the joy and healing power of the arts with all kinds of people throughout Hampton Roads. Each year we are able to reach out to thousands of individuals in dozens of hospitals, nursing homes, and other dependent care programs. We can do this through the generosity of many community supporters and caring and talented artists. Today’s artist (artist(s) or group name)___________ is certainly no exception, and I want to thank them, on behalf of Tidewater Arts Outreach, for sharing their art with you today. We are in for a real treat! So please join me in welcoming (artist/group name)_____________.
- Socialize with clients and encourage client involvement and participation, as appropriate to the program. A volunteer who likes to dance might dance, someone who enjoys singing might encourage people to join in, if an art workshop is going on it is appropriate to assist clients.
- Make general observations of the group’s reaction to the program quality for feedback to Tidewater Arts Outreach; complete survey.
- Email, (TAOvolunteers@gmail.com) fax (965-9211) or mail completed survey Tidewater Arts Outreach.